Frequently Asked Questions regarding Admission Procedure
- When does the admission procedure start?
The admission procedure begins during first week of February every year.
- When is the entrance test for Admissions 2016?
Symbiosis Entrance Exam for Design (SEED) is on 7th May 2016 (Saturday).
- Is SEED exam compulsory for Admission to B. Des Programme?
Yes, SEED is compulsory for admission as first aptitude test for short-listing.
- Which is the website for the SEED registration
Website for SEED registration is www.set-test.org
- Is SEED similar to the entrance test of other Design Institutes?
No. SID has its own syllabus and format of entrance test.
- What will be the admission procedure for year 2016?
Following the procedure for Admissions 2016:
- Register online for SEED 2016 and for SID together at www.set-test.org . Registration charges are Rs. 1500/- for SEED and Rs. 1000/- for SID. Registration to both, SEED & SID is essential for shortlisting after SEED results.
- Appear for SEED for Design on 7th May 2016 (Saturday).
- Result of SEED for Design will be put up on SEED website as per the schedule. If a candidate qualifies SEED 2016, he/she would be shortlisted and scheduled to appear for Studio Test and Personal Interaction.
- Studio Test will be conducted at SID, Pune campus from 1st June to 5th June 2016. If a candidate qualifies the Studio Test, he/she would be eligible to appear for Personal Interaction immediately after the Studio Test.
- Merit List would be declared based on cumulative performance in SEED, Studio Test and Personal Interaction.
- What is the fee for the SEED registration?
SEED registration fee is Rs. 1500/-.
- Can I register for the SEED exam offline?
No. Only online registration is possible.
- Can I apply for more than two exams? (General/Design/Engineering etc)?
SEED is conducted in two sessions, Morning and Afternoon on the same day. For morning session you may choose any one test out of Law and Design and for afternoon session any one test out of General, Engineering and Health Sciences. So you can appear for only two tests, one in the morning session and second in the afternoon session.
- Which are the different centers for Test?
SEED is conducted in 19 cities. A candidate may choose any one city. The center and its address will be informed to the candidate through the Admit Card.
- Which way I can pay for the SEED registration fees? (online /offline)?
Candidates have four (4) choices for payment as follows:
- ONLINE PAYMENT THROUGH CREDIT CARD: You may pay directly through either Master or Visa card online. Follow the instructions given on the SEED Website.
- ONLINE PAYMENT THROUGH NET BANKING: You may transfer your SEED test fee to Symbiosis Test Secretariat account using Net Banking option.
- ONLINE PAYMENT THROUGH INDIAN BANK NET BANKING: You may pay your SEED test fee to Symbiosis Test Secretariat account. You can also pay the application fee for various institutes through Indian Bank Internet Banking option.
- Cash: This ‘Payment Advice’ form is presented in three parts. Pay Rs. 1500/- in cash at Axis Bank or Indian Bank branches in your city. Refer to the list of branches on the Website. The bank will return two parts of the ‘payment advice’ form to you. The ‘student copy’ is your receipt.
Sign the Symbiosis copy of the ‘Payment Slip’ form stamped by Axis Bank or Indian Bank and send it to:-
Symbiosis Test Secretariat
Symbiosis International University
Gram: Lavale, Tal: Mulshi, Dist: Pune – 412115.
- DEMAND DRAFT: Get a demand draft from any Nationalized Bank in favour of "Symbiosis Test Secretariat" payable at Pune.
Choose the mode of Payment as 'DD Payment' in "Make Payment" Tab. Take a print of the payment advice form, fill in the DD Details, sign and send it along with the DD to the Symbiosis Test Secretariat only at,
Symbiosis International University
Symbiosis Test Secretariat,
Gram : Lavale, Tal : Mulshi
Dist : Pune- 412115
Phone: +91-020-39116226 / 27
The Symbiosis Test Secretariat will authenticate the payment details and will send you an email confirming the payment. Only after the payment is authenticated, would you be able to view your Admit card.
Note: Please note that Symbiosis Test Secretariat will not be responsible for non-delivery on any delay on the part of courier / postal services.
It is also mandatory to complete institute payment process of desired institute for desired programme before the closing date of payment of the respective institute.
The SEED website allows a facility for payment towards the institutes along with SEED 2016 payment.
- Is the elementary drawing exam mandatory for appearing for SEED?
Elementary drawing exam is not mandatory for appearing for SEED.
- What will be the entrance exam based on?
Symbiosis Entrance Exam for Design (SEED) is an aptitude test in Design for maximum 100 marks and having all Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs).
- What is the syllabus for the SEED Aptitude Test?
You will find the syllabus at https://sid.edu.in/bdes-admission/seed.html.
- Are there any reference books or coaching classes available for entrance test?
There are no reference books especially for entrance test preparations. SID does not have any knowledge regarding preparatory coaching classes. A sample question paper is given on institute's website at https://sid.edu.in/bdes-admission/seed.html.
- If foundation programme / diploma is done from some other institute can one get direct admission to second year at SID?
We don't have provision for direct admission to second year.
- What is the admission procedure for International students?
Symbiosis has a separate International Students cell that looks after international students admissions.
Office contact details are:
The International Office
Senapati Bapat Road
Pune 411 004. Maharashtra, India.Tel: +91 20 25671905
Fax: + 91 - 20 – 25659209
Frequently Asked Questions regarding B. Des Programme and Specializations
- What is the duration of the B. Des programme?
Duration of B. Des Programme is 4 years from the date of registration to the first year.
- Is this degree recognized out of India?
B. Des degree is awarded by Symbiosis International University, which is established under Section 3 of UGC act 1956 by notification No. F.9-12/2001-U3 Government of India and hence it is a recognized degree worldwide.
- Is this a Degree Course?
Bachelor of Design is a 4 year long full time degree programme.
- What are the disciplines and specializations offered under B. Des programme?
SID offers four disciplines and eight specializations as given below:
- Communication Design:
- Graphic Design
- User Experience Design
- Animation Film Design
- Video Film Design
- Industrial Design:
- Product Design
- Interior Space Design
- Fashion Design
- Fashion Communication
- Is this degree recognized by UGC / AICTE?
B. Des programme and degree is recognized by UGC and the degree nomenclature is included in Section 22 of UGC.
- Is there any PG course offered by SID?
SID presently offers only UG programmes in design.
- Do SID offer any short term / distance courses?
There is no short term / distance course offered by SID. SID offers only full time degree programmes.
Frequently Asked Questions regarding Eligibility of programmes
- Is there any age limit for taking admission to SID?
There is no age limit for taking admission to SID.
- What are the eligibility criteria?
The eligibility criterion for B. Des is passing of 10+2 examination on or before June 2013 from recognized Board / Council with minimum 50% aggregate marks.
- Is it necessary to have 10+2 studies in science stream for Industrial Design?
Candidate from any stream at 10+2 can apply for any specialization in design.
- Do you offer degree in interior design?
Yes. We are offering specialization in Interior Space Design under Industrial Design discipline since Batch 2013-17.
Frequently Asked Questions regarding Accommodation/ Transportation/ Loan and other Facilities
- Is there a collaboration of Symbiosis for education loan with any bank?
Symbiosis has collaboration with Credila - An HDFC Ltd. Company and Avanse Financial Services Ltd. for Student Educational Loan.
- Is the hostel facility available?
Yes, Symbiosis has hostel facility at Viman Nagar for Girls.
- What will be the annual course fees?
The annual course fees for B. Des Batch 2016-20 is Rs. 3.10 lakhs for Academic Year 2016-17.
Security Deposit (Refundable): Rs. 15,000/-
Library Deposit (Refundable): Rs. 5,000/-
- Can I pay the fees in Installments?
Installment facility could be provided on written request and is based on the merit of the case. Only two installments are allowed.
- What is the hostel fee?
- Symbiosis Hostel A Wing (Sakore Nagar) (2 Sharing Regular Room): Rs. 1,44,500/-
- Symbiosis Hostel B Wing (Rohan Mithila) (3 Sharing Regular Room): Rs. 1,30,500/-
- Symbiosis Hostel C Wing (Rohan Mithila) (2 Sharing Regular Room): Rs. 1,50,500/-
- Do you offer placement after B. Des?
Design is primarily leaned by doing and practicing. SID believes in imparting skills and thinking abilities to its students and build an impressive portfolio. Students are provided assistance to seek internship during final semester for degree project as well as for the placement based on rules and regulations for placement at SID.