Associate Professor, HoD – Fashion Department, Dy. Director SID
Masters in Clothing and Textiles (M. S. University of Baroda), UGC NET (June 1999)
Sanjeevani Ayachit has a perfect combination of experience; in the fashion industry as well as in the field of design education. On completing her Masters in Clothing and Textiles from the reputed M.S. University of Baroda, she took up employment at the prestigious men’s apparel company Raymond Apparel Ltd., Thane; overseeing the finishing and quality control department. After spending about three years at RAL, she took up a temporary teaching position at the S. N. D. T College of Home Science in Pune. This was soon followed by a three year period of teaching fashion design at a private institute. She has also served for a short while as Manager – Quality Control at a city based apparel brand Sleepins Apparel Pvt. Ltd.
In August 2008, Sanjeevani joined Symbiosis Institute of Design first as an adjunct faculty and within a year as an Associate professor in the Fashion department. She has taught a wide variety of subjects like Garment Manufacturing Technology, Indian Garment Construction, Fashion Merchandising and Design Projects. She has mentored degree projects of graduating students covering a wide range of apparel categories such as Indian, sportswear, western casual, western formals and so on. She has a keen interest in the field of zero waste and sustainable fashion and has chosen this very area to pursue her doctoral studies. Indian heritage textiles and costumes is another area where her interest lies and she is currently working on a joint project to study and document the textiles and costumes in the collection of the Kelkar Museum in Pune. She has also presented a research paper on the use of traditional Indian pattern making in contemporary fashion at the first International Symposium of creative pattern cutting at the University of Huddersfield, UK in February 2013.
A warm and pleasant person, she is happiest when surrounded with her students; encouraging them to actively pursue their goals and imbibing in them the belief that nothing is impossible if they are passionate and willing to go that extra mile for what they believe in.
Areas of Expertise:
Garment Manufacturing Technology, Indian Heritage Textiles and Costumes, Textile Science.
Areas of Study/Interest:
Creative Pattern Making and Draping, Indian Costumes and Textiles.
Areas of Interest for Research:
Sustainable Fashion, Anthropometric Studies, Creative Pattern Making and Draping, Indian Costumes and Textiles.
Courses taught at SID:
- Garment Manufacturing Technology
- Indian Garment Construction
- Design Projects
- Recent Developments in Apparel Industry
- Craft Documentation
- Indian Heritage Textiles
Research and Publications:
- Looking backwards to go forward – use of traditional Indian pattern making to develop contemporary methods for global fashion. Joint Research publication by Sonika Soni Khar & Sanjeevani Ayachit. Published online in International journal of Fashion Design, Technology and Education, Volume 3, Issue 6, 2013. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/17543266.2013.815808
- Currently working on a book tentatively titled ‘Costumes and Textiles in the Collection of the Raja Dinkar Kelkar Museum’co-authored by Sonika Soni Khar & Sanjeevani Ayachit. Proposed date of completion June 2014.